« Back to Museum Complex

333 BOOM STREET

333 BOOM STREET

THE VOORTREKKER HOUSE

According to historical sources this house is the oldest remaining Voortrekker house in Pietermaritzburg. The plot was allocated to the widow of Voortrekker Gert Nel in 1840. Later it belonged to P.G.Pretorius, a cousin of Andries Pretorius. The house was presumably built not long after 1840, and is considered a very good example of Voortrekker architecture.

The Voortrekker house was declared a National Monument on 9 September 1979. In 1982 it was bought by the Voortrekker Museum in order to be developed into a period house. At the moment it houses a display on the Anglo-Boer War of 1899-1902.