« Back to Museum Complex

E G JANSEN EXTENSION

E G JANSEN EXTENSION

THE GREAT TREK

The cornerstone of the E.G.Jansen Extension was laid in 1955. This building, together with the statue of Piet Retief, form the Natal Voortrekker Monument. It houses a display on the Great Trek, as well as one of the oldest original oxwagons that were used on the Trek.

The building was named after Adv. E.G. Jansen, who was at one time the Speaker as well as the Governor-General of the Union Parliament. Adv. Jansen, who had been raised in Natal, and stayed in Pietermaritzburg after qualifying as a lawyer, had a deep interest in the history of the Voortrekkers, and was also a member of the commission that raised funds to buy the Church of the Vow from private ownership.