« Back to Museum Complex

A Pretorius House

A Pretorius House

After the Battle of Bloodriver/ Ncome of 16 December 1838, the Natal Government allocated the farm ‘Welverdiend’ to Genl. Andries Pretorius. The family stayed on the farm until July 1847. After they moved away, Pretorius’s daughter Christina stayed on with her husband, Otto Landsberg. In July 1851 they sold the farm to the Rev. James Allison, who renamed it ‘Edendale’. He started a mission there.

Over the years the house fell into disuse. In 1967 Dr. B.J.T.Leverton of the Natal Archives identified a double storey house on the site of the Edendale Vocational School as the original house of the Pretorius family. In the 1970’s it was decided that the house would be saved from further damage by rebuilding it on the site of the Voortrekker Museum. It was declared a National Monument in 1977, and consecrated on 16 December 1981.