Museum Complex

The Voortrekker/ Msunduzi Museum, in the centre of Pietermaritzburg, consists of the following buildings:

Main Building

The Main Building Complex, previously the Longmarket Girls’ School, which includes the Old Bicycle Shed, Museum Herb garden, Zulu Hut and the Shiva Perummal Temple. The Museum Gift Shop is situated in the reception area of the Main Building.

Museum Main Building

Museum Main Building

The Museum’s Main Building was originally the Longmarket Street Girls Primary School – until 1972, when the school moved to its current premises. It was built in 1905 according to a design by architect A.E. Dainton, who modelled it on schools in England and Europe. It became the property of the Voortrekker museum in 1985. [...]

Read More

Voortrekker Complex

The historical Voortrekker Complex, which includes the Church of the Vow, E G Jansen Extension, Andries Pretorius House and the Voortrekkerhuisie at No.333 Boom Street.

E G JANSEN EXTENSION

E G JANSEN EXTENSION

THE GREAT TREK The cornerstone of the E.G.Jansen Extension was laid in 1955. This building, together with the statue of Piet Retief, form the Natal Voortrekker Monument. It houses a display on the Great Trek, as well as one of the oldest original oxwagons that were used on the Trek. The building was named after [...]

Read More

333 BOOM STREET

333 BOOM STREET

THE VOORTREKKER HOUSE According to historical sources this house is the oldest remaining Voortrekker house in Pietermaritzburg. The plot was allocated to the widow of Voortrekker Gert Nel in 1840. Later it belonged to P.G.Pretorius, a cousin of Andries Pretorius. The house was presumably built not long after 1840, and is considered a very good [...]

Read More

A Pretorius House

A Pretorius House

After the Battle of Bloodriver/ Ncome of 16 December 1838, the Natal Government allocated the farm ‘Welverdiend’ to Genl. Andries Pretorius. The family stayed on the farm until July 1847. After they moved away, Pretorius’s daughter Christina stayed on with her husband, Otto Landsberg. In July 1851 they sold the farm to the Rev. James [...]

Read More

Church of the Vow

Church of the Vow

HONOURING THE PROMISE Before the Battle of Bloodriver/Ncome, the Voortrekker men, led by Andries Pretorius and Sarel Cilliers, decided to make a vow to God that they would build a church in His honour, should they win the battle. They were successful in defending themselves, and staved off the Zulu attack. As soon as they [...]

Read More